Important: Google My Business (GMB) has been renamed to Google Business Profile (GBP) in 2023. The platform has undergone various updates and changes to improve its offerings for local businesses.
Google Business Profile (GBP) is a free tool offered by Google that allows businesses to manage their online presence across Google, including search and maps. By setting up a GBP account, businesses can control how they appear on Google Search and Maps, which can help attract new customers and improve their visibility online.
What is Google Business Profile Profile?
First, let’s define what GBP is and how it can benefit your business. GBP is essentially a business profile on Google that includes important information about your business, such as your location, phone number, hours of operation, and services or products offered. When someone searches for your business on Google, this information will appear in the search results, as well as on Google Maps.
Having a GBP listing is important for local businesses in particular, as it allows them to show up in local search results and on Google Maps. This is especially useful for customers who are searching for a particular type of business in their area.
How to Create a GBP Profile?
- Click on the “Manage Now” button.
- Sign in to your Google account or create a new one if you don’t already have one.
- Enter your business name and address. If your business has multiple locations, you can add them later.
- Choose a category that best describes your business.
- Now Select Service Area.
- Add your business phone number and website (optional).
- Click on the “Continue” button.
- Verify your business. Google will send you a verification code by mail or phone to confirm that you are the owner of the business.
- Once your business is verified, you can begin managing your Google Business Profile listing.
- To add more information about your business, click on the “Info” tab in the dashboard. Here you can add a description of your business, your business hours, and more.
- To add photos of your business, click on the “Photos” tab in the dashboard. Here you can upload photos of your business, products, or services.
- To view insights about how your business is performing on Google, click on the “Insights” tab in the dashboard. Here you can see how many views and actions your listing has received, as well as other data.
- To manage and respond to customer reviews, click on the “Reviews” tab in the dashboard. Here you can see all of the reviews that have been left for your business, and you can respond to them as needed.
How to Optimize Google Business Profile (GBP) Profile?
- Complete all relevant information: Make sure to include as much information as possible in your GBP listing, including your business name, address, phone number, and hours of operation. You should also include a detailed description of your business, as well as any relevant categories (e.g. “hair salon,” “coffee shop,” etc.).
- Add photos: Visuals are a key part of any online presence, and GBP is no exception. Adding high-quality photos of your business, products, or services can help attract customers and give them a better idea of what you have to offer.
- Encourage reviews: Customer reviews can be a powerful way to build trust and credibility with potential customers. Encourage your satisfied customers to leave reviews on your GBP listing, as this can help boost your visibility and attract new customers.
- Use Google Posts: Google Posts is a feature within GBP that allows businesses to create short posts that will appear in their GBP listing. You can use Google Posts to share updates, promotions, or other important information with your customers.
- Monitor and respond to reviews: In addition to encouraging customers to leave reviews, it’s also important to monitor and respond to any reviews that are left for your business. This shows that you value your customers’ feedback and are willing to address any issues or concerns they may have.
By following these tips and regularly updating your GBP listing, you can effectively optimize it to improve your online visibility and attract new customers.
Relation Between Google Business Profile & Local SEO
Google Business Profile (GBP) is closely related to local SEO (Search Engine Optimization), as it plays a significant role in how a business ranks in local search results. Local SEO is the process of optimizing a business’s online presence in order to attract more customers from relevant, local searches. This is particularly important for small, local businesses that rely on customers from their immediate area.
Recommended: Latest Local SEO Checklists
Here’s how GBP and local SEO are related:
GBP listing: Having a GBP listing is essential for local businesses, as it allows them to show up in local search results and on Google Maps. When someone searches for a specific type of business in their area, GBP listings with complete and accurate information are more likely to appear at the top of the search results.
Keywords: Including relevant keywords in your GBP listing can help improve your local SEO. For example, if you own a bakery in Los Angeles, you might include keywords such as “bakery,” “pastries,” and “Los Angeles” in your GBP listing. This can help your business show up in relevant local searches.
Customer reviews: Customer reviews on your GBP listing can also impact your local SEO. Positive reviews can help improve your reputation and credibility, which can in turn lead to higher rankings in local search results.
Google Maps: When someone searches for a local business on Google, Google Maps often appears at the top of the search results. GBP listings that are well-optimized and have high ratings and reviews are more likely to appear on the first page of Google Maps results, which can help drive more traffic to a business’s website.
In simple words, GBP and local SEO are closely related in that a well-optimized GBP listing can significantly improve a business’s visibility and rankings in local search results. By regularly updating your GBP listing, including relevant keywords, and encouraging customer reviews, you can improve your local SEO and attract more customers to your business.
Google Business Profile Vs Bing My Business
Google Business Profile and Bing My Business are both tools that allow businesses to manage their online presence across Google and Bing search engines, respectively.
One main difference between the two is that Google Business Profile is more widely used, as Google is the more popular search engine. This means that it may be more beneficial for a business to use Google Business Profile in order to reach a larger audience.
Another difference is that Google Business Profile provides more features and tools for businesses to use. For example, Google Business Profile allows businesses to post updates and offers, manage and respond to customer reviews, and see insights about how their listing is performing. Bing My Business does not offer as many features and tools for businesses to use.
However, both Google Business Profile and Bing My Business can be useful for businesses looking to manage their online presence and reach customers through search engines. However, Google Business Profile may be a more comprehensive and beneficial tool due to its larger user base and additional features.
GBP Vs Other Business Listings
Google Business Profile: Helps businesses to improve their search engine visibility and reach customers through Google search and maps.
Other business listings: Vary in purpose, but may include directories, review and recommendation platforms, and advertising platforms.
Google Business Profile: Reaches customers who are actively searching for the business’s products or services on Google.
Other business listings: May reach different audiences depending on the platform. For example, a directory may be used by people looking for specific businesses in a particular area, while a review platform may be used by consumers looking for recommendations.
Google Business Profile: Allows businesses to manage and respond to customer reviews, post updates and offers, and see insights about how their listing is performing.
Other business listings: Features may vary depending on the platform. For example, a review platform may allow businesses to manage and respond to reviews, while an advertising platform may offer targeting and tracking capabilities.
Google Business Profile: Is a free service offered by Google.
Other business listings: Prices may vary depending on the platform and the features being offered. Some platforms may offer free basic listings, while others may charge for additional features or advertising.
Rankings on Google search
Google Business Profile: Can improve a business’s rankings on Google search by providing accurate and up-to-date information about the business.
Other business listings: Depending on the platform, being listed on other business listings may or may not have an impact on a business’s rankings on Google search.
Google Business Profile: Is a reputable service offered by Google.
Other business listings: Trustworthiness may vary depending on the platform. It is important for businesses to research and consider the reputation and reliability of the platform they are using.
In simple words, while Google Business Profile and other business listings can both be useful for businesses looking to reach customers online, they serve different purposes and target different audiences. Google Business Profile is focused on improving search visibility, while other business listings may have a variety of purposes and features. It is important for businesses to consider their needs and goals when deciding which platform to use.